Thursday, April 13, 2006
Opera on a Thursday:
1. Suite No. 3 in D Major, BWV 1068 - Air on the G-String - J.S. Bach
2. Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K. 550 - Molto allegro - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
3. Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67 - Allegro con brio - Ludwig van Beethoven
4. Dôme épais le jasmin à la rose s'assemble - Leo Delibes
5. Apollo et Hyacinthus - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
6. Bastien und Bastienne - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
7. Mitridate, re di Ponto - Allgro - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
8. Mitridate, re di Ponto - Andante grazioso - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
9. Mitridate, re di Ponto - Presto - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
10. Lucio Silla - Andante - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
11. Lucio Silla - Molto allegro - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
12. La finta giardiniera - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
13. Il re pastore - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
14. Idomeneo - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
15. Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serial - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
16. Der Schaupieldirektor - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
17. Marriage of Figaro - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
18. Don Giovanni - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
19. Cosi fan tutte - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
20. Magic Flute - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
21. La clemenza di Tito - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
I remember when I was little my Mom use to take me to operas because she enjoyed them. I never did find a liking for attending them and usually ended up falling asleep. Well, that might all have been because they were in Italian. I had no clue what they were saying and it put me to sleep. I understand today a lot of opera's have video screens displaying the translated text to English. This would help a lot and I am willing to give opera another try.... all thanks to the first opera put on at Washburn University.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
As we progress through life and our every day tasks we come across many different things that we have absolutely no control over. A couple of items come to mind right now.
We are trying to sell our house. We think it is a hot item on the market and we had a lot of traffic from people when it first went on the market over a month ago. Now the traffic has dwindled to one or two people a week... if that! We have a limited ability to get people into look at our house, but ultimately it is up to advertising and word-of-mouth to get them in our house. To get a offer on our house that is a completely different story. So far the planets and stars have not lined up for us to get that offer on our house. Will it come eventually? Sure! Will it come soon.... we do not know nor do we have control over that fact.
The Kansas City Royals had a horrible season last year... one of the worst in MLB history. While they have not started off bad this year they did lose a game against New York yesterday afternoon that they should not have let slip away. Just as I pull for the Royals I also pull for Kansas basketball, Washburn sports and anything else that is relevant to a sport I follow or a event I am dedicated to. Do I have control over the outcome of the Royals or whether Kansas wins the National Championship? Of course not! No matter how I feel that wearing my "lucky" shirt or doing the same routine will help MY team advance to the ultimate goal of a title... You and I both know it does no good but make me feel good when they do succeed. Again, completely out of my control no matter how hard I cheer... no matter what I wear... or how distraught I am with the team... no changes.
The last item that while I feel I have control over I ultimately do not have control. That is major decisions at work. Purchases, leave time and other related items. These may be simply for employees that work for me or for ISS. I am certainly not in a vacuum and I do feel I should check with others before making decisions. It simply feels like making decisions at work requires many hoopes to jump through instead of simply making the decision. Instead of taking a day or two to make a decision it takes weeks or even months to make a decision. I am all for gathering the facts and basing the decision off of those facts... This can be frustrating not only for the person waiting on the decision, but also for me who has to relay the information to who ever asked for that process.
The joys of selling a house, cheering for a sporting team and being in a work environment. It can be a lot of fun for all areas and it can also be frustrating.
Sunday, April 09, 2006
So, yeah, we've pretty much done nothing all day today.
Saturday, April 08, 2006
I should be doing laundry or something but I am picking out some songs to download...
I Turn My Camera On - Spoon
The Way We Get By - Spoon
Forca - Nelly Furtado
Jolene - Ray Lamontagne
We are going to Laughing Matters tonight with a group of friends and looking forward to it. Next time, we are going to get 4 tables and invite more people. Good time.
Friday, April 07, 2006
Cool Funk for a Friday:
1. Trouble - Ray Lamontagne
2. Ain't Life Grand - Widespread Panic
3. King Without a Crown - Matisyahu
4. Is This Love - Bob Marley
5. Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
6. Such Great Heights (LP Version #2) - Postal Service
7. Inside Of Love - Nada Surf
8. This One's For You - Ed Harcourt
9. Pink Moon - Nick Drake
10. Lover, You Should've Come Over - Jeff Buckley
11. Please Forgive Me - David Gray
12. Somewhere Only We Know - Keane
13. The One I Love - David Gray
14. Unbelievable - Craig David
15. Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing - John Legend
16. Home - Marc Broussard